A good-quality pool pump timer helps to cut down the energy cost as well as give you total control of your swimming pool. Since the energy cost of the home will be reduced, you will save money on the general maintenance costs of the pool.
If you are in search of the right pool pump timer, you will need to consider some options. Other than choosing a good-quality pool pump timer, you must also consider your needs and preferences. Choosing the right pool pump timer will ensure a smooth running with the pool, as well as your home’s electrical load. It also saves you time and effort. Everything will run smoothly when you are using the timer.
Here is a look at the top three pool pump timers, along with their features and how the run. This should help you decide the perfect pump timer to use in your pool.
The Three Best Pool Pump Timers
1Intermatic P1353ME Pool Pump Timer
This timer is user-friendly, and you can fit it in any Intermatic enclosure. If you have the common T101, you can retrofit this timer switch easily without the need for replacing the enclosure.
This timer comes with 3-timed circuits that allow it to power several pool accessories. With Intermatic P1353ME, you can power such accessories like pool lights, 2-speed pump, blower, cleaner pump, as well as the fountain pump. Other than that, the product has a firearm switch and a memory backup. Also, you can switch it to a wireless system anytime you want.
Why It’s Worth Buying:
- It has three-timed circuits for multiple uses
- It can power up to 3HP
- The timer is easy to install and use
- You can easily upgrade it to a digital/wireless system
- It retrofits easily when needed
- It features an LCD for easy reading
2The Intermatic PF1103T
If you need to protect your pool and spa from freeze damage, this is one of the timers you should consider purchasing. It also works automatically, which makes it extra reliable. All you have to do is set your preferred temperature. If the outside temp drops below the set temperature on the timer, the pump will be turned on instantly.
The best part of using this timer is that it is freeze-resistant. For that, you wouldn’t have to worry about the cold months.
Why It’s Worth Buying:
- It runs automatically, and it offers protection against freeze damage
- You can adjust the temperature according to your preference
- It has a durable, electrostatically-coated drawn steel enclosure
- It is easy to install and use
- Powers a 1.5 or 3HP pump
This pump timer is user-friendly, and all you have to do is set up the enclosure, then slip the timer into place. Ensure that you use the correct electrical lines when setting up the timer.
3Honeywell Aube T1040/U
This should be the right choice for you if your pool runs for a long time. The timer can be used to run the pool pump for up to 16 hours every day. It won’t run for 24 hours, which helps to save the energy and running costs.
It also has a heavily waterproof casing that allows it to run in any weather. You can use the switch with any three-way switch. The timer has a temporary bypass that maintains the program when you need an override. The weatherproof casing is lockable, which helps to keep the timer from theft and tamper.
Why It’s Worth Buying:
- You can program it to run on up to 14 settings for seven days
- It has three operating modes including temporary bypass, manual, and automatic
- It runs for only 16 hours each day to save the energy costs
- The casing is weatherproof and theft-proof
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
The Common Types of Pool Pump Timers
You should know that swimming pool pump timers come in different types. You should always choose the one that will work perfectly for your pool. The type of pool, the pool accessories, and how frequent the pool is used are some of the factors that you should consider when choosing the type of timer. Here are the common types of swimming pool pump timers;
- Two-Speed Timer – This timer runs on 120 to 240 volts. Also, you can program up to three circuits with the timer. Ideally, use this timer with a 3HP pump.
- Above-Ground Timer – The above ground timers are mostly used on pumps that run continuously. Also, the timer is best suited for a 1.5 HP pump.
- In-ground Timer. The in-ground timer can power a 1.5HP or 3HP pump based on the swimming pool size. This timer may also feature a twist-lock plug or the 3-prong plug.
The type of pool pump timer you choose will depend on the size and type of your pool, as well as the available accessories of the pool.
Any Other Pool Pump Timer Recommendations?
Other than the three top pool pump timers, you can also consider purchasing either of the following timers for your pool pump;
This is an above-ground pool pump timer that can run a 1HP pump. It is a reliable pump timer for a small pool, which also helps to save the energy costs.
This is a mechanical pool pump timer that is designed for any size of the pool. It has a high motor load rating that makes it extra reliable.
A good pool pump timer will assure you of a flawless running swimming pool. Choosing the right pool pump timer also helps to keep the pool clean and make it safe and healthy for people to swim. Before you choose any pool pump timer, ensure that you understand the pool’s electrical specs. A continuous running pump will ensure that your pool water is not murky and unpleasant. That is why you need a timer to control how the pump runs.
Always check that you choose a timer that matches the needs of your pool regarding the size and type. If you make a wrong choice, you will end up wasting money and also messing up your pool. The voltage requirements should be considered too when you are buying the pool pump timer.